Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Apple Chord

Digging up more old stuff... I saw that Christopher Chong had posted this on his site. It was a quick project we did together last year, as part of Pedro Rebelo's composition module at SARC.

We recorded me eating an apple, typing on a keyboard, and convolved it with The Apple Chime. There is some algorithmic editing using nGEN. Realized with Csound, Max/MSP, and ProTools.

Listen here.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Making my CDs

I make my CDs by hand, to order. They still look pretty decent. Maybe this will help/inspire people, I don't know.

Step 1: Burn the CD


Step 2: Print out the cover (not shown) and traycard. 2 can fit on each page of US Letter paper.


Step 3: Cut out the traycard and cover


Step 4: Once CD is done burning, print onto the CD.


Step 5: Put the traycard in the jewel case. Make sure the sides are creased really well.


Step 6: Put the CD holder on top of the tray, and the CD in the holder.



Step 7: Put the cover page in the case cover, and attach the case cover to the tray.



Step 8: Finished product!


Note: I can do this in less than 21 minutes, but I was taking pictures...

Friday, March 20, 2009

Vernal Equinox

Visit my ReverbNation page, and you can hear "Vernal," the final track from my CD Late Frost. Today is the Vernal Equinox, so it's especially appropriate and I hope it gets you in a springtime mood. Cheers!

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hypertext poem experiment

I made this sometime last spring or summer, while I was doing some side research on types of new media. One idea that I found quite interesting is "hypertext poetry."

This example is purely an experiment in interactivity. The form of each stanza is a Tanka (similar to Haiku, with a syllable pattern of 5-7-5-7-7). If you hover over lines, they will turn yellow, which means you can click on them and reveal more stanzas. Each stanza begins with a line or partial line from a previous stanza.

It is all stream-of-consciousness, and not intended to make sense altogether.

Here it is.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Alto Flute duet (in progress) - Part I

I am working on an alto flute duet for a friend, who I'm hoping will be able to play it on some of her recitals in England this summer.

For the past year or so, I have been writing a lot of indeterminate music (my Master's dissertation focused on this). I have written some improv game pieces, but last year I began to write more detailed pieces that included some improv or indeterminate elements. It's been quite a change from my other work, which is far more determined and detailed.

This piece is primarily indeterminate in performance. Players can make a lot of decisions that determine how the piece will sound. Below is my sketch for the opening of player I's part:



I determined some chords that I wanted projected. In the first "bar" we have major-seventh chords. Player II will have the same chords, but different gestures. The first bar will be repeated 5 times, with each player choosing a different line for each repeat. There will be some extended chords and bitonal goodness when this happens.

I began just writing gestures, but I found they all had a similar contour. To break myself from this rut, I used an online random generator to help me determine the gestures. I generated 10 rows of 5 numbers (6 numbers in bar 2), using integers 1-8. The integers determined pitch and register. 1 = the root, 2 = the third, etc. (CMaj7: 1=C, 2=E, 3=G, 4=B, 5=C(octave up), etc...).

I entered the notes in Sibelius. Note: I am using the symbol tool to draw everything. I can't make a MIDI realization, but I can do proportional notation this way. It's hard to get notes to stay on the line or in a space, but it works reasonably well after fiddling (see this piece for a more finished example).

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Blueprint No. 1

I recently finished a graphic score piece with live electronics for bassoonist Michele Bowen. It is in Max/MSP. Here is a screenshot, and if you want to try it yourself, you can download the patch here.




I did a little mockup, improvising on the piano. I messed up the levels, so the piano is all distorted. Still gives you a taste. 10:30 in length.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Baffin Bay video

I made a quick video of Baffin Bay:




This piece exists in this "fixed version" and also a version for laptop quartet. The version you hear is on my new CD! The visuals are a bunch of abstract paintings I made on the computer with ArtRage.

blog redux

Dear reader(s):

After nearly 2 years, I've decided to start blogging again (irregularly). This won't be anything personal, just a kind of "work blog." On my website's news page, I generally just put big announcements, so I'm going to use this as a way to point you to new things I've added to the site.

Current big projects:
- an alto flute duet, that I'm hoping a friend will play in London later this year
- a percussion trio for some of my pals in Atlanta
- a piece for rock quartet (guitar, bass, keyboards, drums)

Some minor projects I'm working on/brainstorming:
- Promo videos for tracks from my new albums, featuring some paintings I've done in ArtRage.
- Some interactive piano and Max/MSP stuff (using MIDI!!!)
- a piece for narrator and tape
- a long-form ambient piece/CD

Stay tuned....