Sunday, September 20, 2009

Theatre collaboration

I have mentioned a theater collaboration I've been working on with a friend of mine. It is titled CoaX LoVe Indulge IllusIon, and is based on Shakespeare's 148th sonnet (CXLVIII).

O me, what eyes hath Love put in my head,
Which have no correspondence with true sight!
Or, if they have, where is my judgment fled,
That censures falsely what they see aright?
If that be fair whereon my false eyes dote,
What means the world to say it is not so?
If it be not, then love doth well denote
Love's eye is not so true as all men's 'No.'
How can it? O, how can Love's eye be true,
That is so vex'd with watching and with tears?
No marvel then, though I mistake my view;
The sun itself sees not till heaven clears.
O cunning Love! with tears thou keep'st me blind,
Lest eyes well-seeing thy foul faults should find.

This is the text of the piece, and there is a lot of wordless acting and dancing. The music alternates between a waltz and a tango. I've gone through several versions of the tango specifically before I finally got it right. Sounds ok on MIDI so far, and this week I will make a better sounding version with my keyboards. We're hoping to mount a performance sometime this fall, although time is getting short at this point! I will post a sample for you to hear on the next episode.

I have also been revisiting my laptop quartets. Not only have I been occasionally rehearsing with a laptop trio here in NY, the Electric Monster Laptop Ensemble at Montana State has been working on the pieces. Very exciting! As I mentioned before, I am making a short-and-sweet version of my thesis for publication. I am also making some streamlined versions of Freq Out and Presets. The hardest thing to believe is that I turned in this project a year ago this week!

No comments: