Saturday, September 4, 2010

more hip-hop project fun

I have been playing around with one of the tracks from my hip-hop project, working title "Octagon." For most of the tracks, I had 2 people record solos, but this track only had one. I tried recording some Hammond-ish organ solos, but since the backing track uses similar timbres, it tended to get lost.

Then I came up with an idea to go for the electronica cliché of sticking in some (public domain) movie quotes. I looked around and found some great dialogue from the Vincent Price film The Last Man on Earth, which is based on the novel I Am Legend. I am doing some processing on the quotes for word-painting purposes. Kinda rough, but here is what I have so far:




I really love Darren Nelsen's guitar contribution to this piece. I thought it would be fun to dissect and scramble the solo later in the track. Below is the original, then the reconstituted version:


No comments: