Tuesday, November 2, 2010

sax quartet beginnings


As mentioned previously, I had been toying with the idea of writing a sax quartet. Now I'm not just toying with it, I'm actually working on it.

Unfortunately, I keep "flip-flopping" on whether I like my ideas or not. This piece is basically a process piece, where short ideas wedge themselves in the middle of other short ideas, creating ever-longer, palendromic phrases. I like the idea in general, and I think "Wedge Issue" would be a great title.

Somehow, though, there just doesn't seem to be "enough to it." Now I'm thinking through what I've drafted so far (about 3 minutes of a 5-6 minute piece) and pondering what I can alter to keep the interest up. Pondering what I can do to subvert the process just enough that it is still perceptible but not so damned obvious.

As I brought up in my composition lesson today, there is kind of a pressure (98% internal) that I make each work "the greatest thing I've done so far." I mean, I'm a PhD student now. But in any field of research there has to be some trial, and with it, some error. As long as I don't parade this piece around like it really is "the greatest thing I've done so far," I guess it won't hurt anyone if I work on it and see what happens!

No comments: