Thursday, December 9, 2010

Jury Pieces

Next Monday I will have my first composition jury at UF. I am not sweating it, having done composition juries at GSU for several years. These are apparently more low-key - one-on-one (one-on-three?) with the faculty, as opposed to a public reading of the new works.

Sounds fine, except one thing: everyone keeps using the term "jury piece." Surely I'm not the only one who wrote pieces for the sake of writing pieces. Surely people aren't composing just to get a grade.

Anyway, I will present Ghazal and Wedge Issue. You can peruse them below:

Ghazal score
Ghazal mp3 - tape part with MIDI flute

Wedge Issue score
Wedge Issue mp3 - MIDI rendition

2 comments:

argentumlupine said...

maybe they call it their "jury piece" because it's their primo composition that they're trying to perfect? (I hope they're not composing just for the jury and never composing otherwise)

Adam Scott Neal said...

yeah, i think most people average about one piece a semester. it's just kind of a confusing and loaded term