I made a quick trip up to Atlanta this week, but now I'm back in Gainesville. One more week until fall term begins. This year, my TA position will be assisting with Theory 3. I've heard it's a heavy workload, but I'm looking forward to gaining more teaching experience.
I have been working on soldering together Tether 2.0. The circuits on the last version were done on breadboards, so I wanted something more permanent. I bought some perfboards and started soldering components. This is a learning process to be sure!
I royally messed up the first board - got solder everywhere. A lot of this was due to workspace - I was soldering on some wood on the ground and couldn't really see that well I think. I moved everything to my desk and turned on all the lights (during the day as well!) and could do a lot better. However, the second board doesn't seem to function. I'm not sure why, so I think I'm going to need a voltage meter to diagnose it. Solder wick, clamp or "helping hands," and wire snippers are in my future as well.
Worst comes to worse, we can stick with breadboards, maybe with some hot glue for quality assurance, but I really want to say "I can solder" and not be kind-of lying.
If you want to learn how to solder, I recommend these videos: Perfboard Prototyping and How to Solder.