Sunday, November 27, 2011

Tether 2.1 performance

We went down to Florida International University last week for the FEASt (Florida Electroacoustic Student) Festival. It was a nice chance to perform a slightly improved version of Tether. Fixed the program on Josh's unit and improved our performance a little bit. Several people mentioned that version 2.0 was a bit "sterile," focusing too much on space and too little on interaction. We got a better balance this time.

Of course, one of Josh's speakers wasn't working in rehearsal so we had to suss that out, then one of mine stopped working just before the performance! But, overall it worked and we were happy with the progress.

Also: had some fun adventures going to a Spanish-only bar (what are the Irish guy and Asian guy doing here?) and nearly running out of gas in the Everglades.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tether v.2 performance

Last Friday Josh Cajinarobleto and I presented Tether on Unbalanced Connection 48 at UF. The week leading up to the performance, we spent about 30 some-odd hours constructing and tweaking the units.

We are happy with the look of the units and the performance overall, but a few things need more tweaking. For one, I couldn't upload the final version of the Arduino program onto Josh's Arduino. Something to do with "avrdude" - couldn't find a simple answer on that one so I'll need to work on it. Also, the gears inside the units weren't quite aligned, so the cables would get a little stuck every once in awhile. So we held onto the units to give them some extra force against the gears - but we were hoping to do this 'hands-free.'

We'll be performing this again in Miami in 2 weeks so hopefully we can get a few kinks worked out (I doubt all of them!).

Here's a video. I apologize for the sound quality (applause at beginning and end will be much louder than the performance). This is taken from the camera mic, at the back of the hall. Also, we have a large, loud AC system and no noise reduction seemed to help without adding major swishiness.