Monday, December 12, 2011

Interiors, for flute and guitar

As I kill time waiting to go to my composition jury, I figured I may as well post a blog about one of the pieces I'm presenting. It is called "Interiors" and is written for flute and guitar.

The notes are based on the frequencies of the harmonic series, based on E2 and D3, the 6th and 4th strings of the guitar. The guitar part is almost completely made of natural harmonics, played on different strings. This shows the out-of-tuneness of equal temperament, and makes for some interesting wobbly effects. The flute part is mostly "normal" though it gets a few harmonics as well.

My mode of composition this year has been fairly minimal, in the sense of economy of material. I have also been interested in spectral techniques, so this and the piano piece I'm currently writing are based on the harmonic series. Thus, I'm leaning ever more *gasp* tonal.

Score

mp3 reading

No comments: